Wednesday 8 January 2014

Will it all fit?

Well, I've collected together everything I'll need for my overnight ride but.......will it fit on the bike?


More specifically, will it fit on the bike in such a way that I can still ride it, see where I'm going, lift it over fences, escape wolves....

I thought I'd start with the important stuff - my sleep kit:

  • Down sleeping bag
  • Ex army bivvy bag
  • Thermarest mat
  • Ex army basha (tarpaulin)
  • Set of thermals
  • Wooly hat
Now, before I laid it all out on the floor, I'd imagined it all fitting in a 20 litre dry-bag that would be mounted across the handlebars. I had serious doubts but, after a bit of swearing and sweating, it was all in there. I even managed to fit my clothes in another dry-bag inside :)

It really did all fit in!
Once I'd fitted it to the bike it looked HUGE! Still, at least I'm happy I'll have a dry, warm night - whatever the weather. 
Should I have let the air out of my camping mat? ;)
I'm happy with the handlebar mounts I made. The bag sits on securely but doesn't rest on any of the control cables. Time will tell if it is a permanent addition to the bike.


I haven't filled the rest of the bags yet - to be honest I hope I won't need to use all of them. Still, here's a picture of the bike with every bag in place. I've got a rucksack too of course! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment