Sunday 5 January 2014

Preparation...

I've been into mountain biking for around 5 years now. As with most other riders my introduction to this sport was at trail centres where graded, controlled routes help build confidence and skills. In the last couple of years I've taken part in some events using natural trails - Brecon Beast, Wentwood Goshawk - and I've also been on a few natural rides with friends.


Winter XC race at Coed Trallwm
This type of riding is fantastic - you never know what conditions you'll find or if the next bit of trail is actually rideable. For me the logical progression was to extend these natural rides into overnight adventures which saw me sign up for the BearBonesBikepacking There 'n' Back event. http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/pages/El-anBack.html

So on January 11th I'll be riding our from Llanbrynmair in mid-Wales heading towards Aberystwyth via Plynlymon & Nant-y-Moch. The goal to visit as many Spar shops en route as possible! If I'm lucky I'll find the 'golden ticket' pinned to a notice board in one of the shops. Sticking to bridleways as much as possible I'll plan my own route so OS maps and Google Earth here I come :)

The 'planned' route - it may change...

From Aberystwyth I'll follow the cycle path along the Ystwyth valley before heading to Devil's Bridge and then cutting across to Hafren Forest before returning to the starting point.

Somewhere along the route I'll need to set up camp for the night and, to keep misery at bay,  I'll need some equipment. Now, I do like a gadget or two...

Here's a basic list of the kit I think I'll need (remember I haven't actually gone bikepacking yet!):


  1. Sleeping bag
  2. Bivvi bag
  3. Tarp, poles & line
  4. Cooking equipment
  5. Sleeping clothes
  6. Food & drinks
  7. Bike tools & spares
  8. Bike :)
  9. Bike lights
  10. Money & mobile phone
  11. Dry bags and bike racks to carry everything.
I'm lucky to already own all of this equipment - but is what I have appropriate for bikepacking? Most of my equipment was from my Scout Leader days - days when camping involved heavy canvas tents, huge cast iron cooking rings and a 4x4 with a trailer. That'll be a 'no' then!

I'd need bigger panniers (I'd need panniers!) :)


No comments:

Post a Comment